Monday 7 November 2011

A really good day in the garden

Rudbeckia triloba 'Prairie Glow' - a new release from Jelitto seeds, with orange tints in the flowers. Nice, but late to flower, and the plants are a bit sparse: hopefully the biennials among the batch will make bigger, bushier plants next year.

Bulbs set out for planting: Allium cristophii and Tulipa 'Spring Green'

The Silver Sebrights arrive to invesitigate the activity in the gravel border: Chrysanthemum 'Mei kyo' in centre, and 100 Allium 'Purple Sensation' in the yellow net.
With bright, warm sunshine throughout, yesterday was perfect for getting on in the garden. I took the opportunity to plant some big batches of bulbs in the gravel border - alliums and tulips mostly, and a few elsewhere, and then to give the lawn and meadow area their final cut for the year. The grass was rather wet and the meadow especially looks a bit mangled, but the likelihood of a better day to do it this year seemed slim and it will soon look fine.

Chrysanthemum 'Action Bronze' - welcome rich colour in a broad dome.

4 comments:

  1. I do like the rudbeckia prairie glow - one to keep on the "looks interesting" list I think.

    I am slowly coming around to the fact that Chrysanthemums may have a place in this garden, their colour in November is a joy.

    Sound like you had a productive weekend! :)
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. After all those years Allium 'Purple Sensation' are still one of my favourites.

    I am behind on all my gardens, have not even bought tulip bulbs yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ´Spring Green´. They´re so special, absolute beautiful. Allium ´Purple sensation´ is also one of my favorites.
    No sunshine here, but mild for the season, about 12 o C. - Enjoyed visiting.
    Have a nice day.
    Fie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am impressed with the vibrant colors in your garden in this time of the year, especially the Chrysanthemums. Although my garden still displays patches of various colors, they somehow seem to be washed out and ready for the winter chill.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.