Thursday 21 June 2012

A walk round Wisley

Meconopsis napaulensis (as labelled, probably a hybrid), on Battleston Hill.
A meeting at Wisley yesterday gave me the opportunity to have a walk round part of the garden with Matthew Pottage, the Garden Manager responsible for most of the hardy ornamental plantings. In bright warm sunshine it was a very enjoyable treat and Wisley is looking in great shape. Unfortunately the meeting 'went on' somewhat - blame the chairman - and there was no time to look around further afterwards. Here are a few things that caught my eye.

New growth on Pinus montezumae 'Sheffield Park'.

A mass of Sisyrinchium striatum on the Mediterranean terraces - common and weedy perhaps, but spectacular in a drift like this.

Arisaema tortuosum and other Sino-Himalayan delights.

Cornus kousa 'John Slocock' - an exceptionally good dogwood.

The new Rose Garden, now in its second full year, is looking absolutely fantastic, with the roses successfully commingled with perennials and other shrubs.

David Austin roses in the background, with Cornus alba 'Aurea' and Geranium 'Orion' in front, demonstrating the quality and vibrancy of the plantings in the Rose Garden. For once the planting plans were drawn up by Wisley staff, not an imported garden designer.

Salvia nemorosa 'Amethyst'

Iris (Spuria) 'Missouri Orange'

Hideous bedding.

5 comments:

  1. The Ariseama is out here too suddenly!
    I don't think I would care at all for the new rose garden at wisley!! Are you serious John?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark: yes, it's outstanding modern planting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did laugh at your hideous bedding comment. I have Sisyrinchium striatum in my borders and I really rate it as a filler. I think people get too snobby about plants. Alchemilla mollis is another one they turn their nose up at but again it is a great edger and pulls a planting scheme together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly use any plant as long as it is the right one for the place and the conditions.I never care wether it is rare or not. I love red campion for example.Such a great zingy pink that goes well with so many geraniums etc.

      Delete
  4. Pinus montezumae is a very interesting plant

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.