Tuesday 13 September 2011

Horticultural postcards from New York

The High Line - Manhattan's linear aerial park, built on the bed of the former freight train line running through the city, and now a hugely popular public space.
 
The Empire State Building from the High Line. Oudolfian grasses and perennials are a major feature of the planting.

In other areas the High Line is planted with woodland plants, but perhaps Magnolia macrophylla was not so wise a choice.


Ludwigia sedoides, aptly named the mosaic plant, at Wave Hill.

Lilies at the farmers' market, Columbus Ave.
and heirloom tomatoes...

Apartment gardening: Michael Riley and Francisco Correa's green wall of tropical epiphytes.

Fresh Forsythia at Chelsea Market: how?

2 comments:

  1. That mosaic plant is lovely - I don't think I've ever seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As stated by the previous commenter, I have never seen or even heard of the Mosaid Plant. It is amazingly beautiful and I’m intending to try cultivating it within the fish pond in my backyard. Can’t wait to get started.

    As far as tomatoes are concerned, I had planted 6 tomato plants about 2 years ago and this year they produced enough to feed my entire neighborhood and then some.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.